Mick Ferguson. Forward.
30. Although heavy criticised, he scored a creditable five goals in nine games before moving to Colchester United in March.
Justin Fashanu. Forward.
24. £115,000 signing who suffered several knee injuries and scored just twice in 20 games.
Eric Young. Defender.
25. Lanky centre back who scored the opener in a 2-0 win at Newcastle in the FA Cup.
Gary O’Reilly. Defender.
24. Formed a strong partnership with Eric Young at the heart of defence.
Terry Connor. Forward.
22. This fans’ favourite hit 14 League goals plus two in a 3-2 win at Hull City in the FA Cup.
George Petchey. First-team coach.
Caretaker manager for one match in May following the sacking of Chris Cattlin.
Steve Gatting. Defender.
26. A severe pelvic injury meant Steve only featured from New Year’s Day onwards.
Graham Moseley. Goalkeeper.
31. Made just nine League appearances before joining Cardiff City on a free transfer.
Steve Jacobs. Defender/Midfielder.
24. Combative ball winner who had a magnificent FA Cup game as sub in the 2-2 draw at Peterborough United.
Perry Digweed. Goalkeeper.
25. His penalty shoot-out save against Oxford won the Seagulls the Oxfordshire Benevolent Cup in August.
Dean Saunders. Forward.
21. Player of the Season and top scorer with15 League goals.
Mike Yaxley. Physio.
Joined the Albion staff in 1968/69. A fully qualified FA coach.
Steve Penney. Forward
21. The young winger made 37 League appearances, and then played twice for Northern Ireland in Mexico ’86.
Chris Hutchings. Defender/Midfielder.
28. Surprisingly dropped for the FA Cup quarter-final with Southampton.
Danny Wilson. Midfielder.
25. Weighed in with 11 League goals plus a hat-trick in the League Cup against Bradford.
Chris Cattlin. Manager.
Controversially sacked towards the end of the season as the promotion push ran out of steam.
Dennis Mortimer. Midfielder.
33. Superb leader who lived at Courtlands Hotel in his only season at the Goldstone. Made 40 League appearances.
Alan Biley. Forward.
28. Rod Stewart lookalike who scored Albion’s first goal of the season at home to Grimsby Town in August.
Kieran O’Regan. Defender/Midfielder.
21. A fringe player who made 15 League appearances, mainly as a substitute.
Other players who made appearances for the Albion in 1985/86 were Sean Edwards, Martin Keown, Frank Massimo, Daren Newman, Gavin Oliver and Graham Pearce. Ages correct on 1st August 1985.